Tuesday 19 March 2019

NSW Coast Walk : Tathra to Victoria Creek

KM this section : 63
KM completed : 274

Why, I didn't need to bring the tent!
The Big 4 Tathra campsite is very convivial, I get free tea and cake, plus a chance meet the other residents - all elderly Aussie holidaymakers.  They seem impressed by my crazy walking, and the owners even call their son, who has walked the section north of here, he is going to pop over and advise me.  I do the normal zero day stuff, shopping, clean clothes, and decide to stay at camp and cook meat tonight.  Visiting the bowling club where I had dinner last night, and apparently the only place around that sells alcohol, they offer a sixpack of small bottles of beer for twenty dollars, or four and half litres of wine for eleven dollars... I am confused.  The owners' son, Mark, turns up, he seems to agree with my planned route, though he reckons I will do about fifteen kilometres tomorrow.  I then drink too much wine...

Seagulls in flight / like a song, but not quite.
There follows a 10am start, this is not great, the morning goes well enough though, a mix of beaches and good paths.  I do have to swim another inlet, well, the water is maybe chest high, perhaps I could have waded.  I am fine with the swimming, but the wet bag is very heavy after each dip, and I find that I chafe unpleasantly walking in wet pants...  Things go downhill after lunch, the paths are less well used, this section includes the wallaby tracks, and indeed fence hopping, that Mark warned me of.  There is another swim too, I really don't need two in a day.  Then gruelling, barely visible track over headlands and down into numerous coves, going is very slow, I end up camped in one cove, it is just too dark to keep walking, but I am several kilometres behind plan.

Definitely got her best side here.
I try to make up the distance next day but it is hard, I need to cross another inlet, I'm able wade this one so the bag stays dry at least, but then there's a long section of rocky scrambling, it's slow work.  I get lunch in the little town of Bermagui, from of all places Woolworths!  Good to see some countries still have them.  Then some long beaches, separated by headlands, I need to climb over those of course - descending one at around 7pm, I can see the water of Victoria Creek below, I'm not going to swim now so no choice but to pitch up here... still three kilometres short of plan.


Swamp Wallaby!
Photos to go with this post can be found here.

No comments:

Post a Comment