Tuesday 19 March 2019

NSW Coast Walk : Hegarty's Bay to Tathra

KM this section : 93
KM completed : 211

A Goanna.  Massive thing it was.
From my camp at Hegarty's Bay (suitable for experienced bush walkers only, as the signs have it) I continue onto the second half of the Light to Light walk, it's just as nice, fine cliff walking, more deserted beaches, all cool.  I spot a couple of big lizards, two or three feet long, and less welcome, some massive spiders, as big as my hand, their huge webs stretched across the path, even when it is wide enough for vehicles.  End of the marked path is Boyd's Tower, built by a Scottish entrepreneur in the 1840s, after that I am back to a line on the map that in theory, at least, somebody has walked.  This soon goes wrong, the line leads me to private land, high fences block the way, I work around on gravel tracks built to allow access to the electric pylons around here, this makes for some very steep climbing.  Then down to another water hazard, this one seems wider, also the current tries to drag me away from the finger of sand I am aiming for, but I make it.  I then walk a mile or so of sandbar in my pants, as you do, but cover up before reaching the small community of Boydtown, yes, founded by the same man.  There is a pub, yay, I obtain beer and Aussie speciality Chicken Parmigiana, or 'parma / parmie' - there seem to be a variety of short forms.  Anyway, it is a breaded chicken breast, topped with tomato sauce, a thick slice of ham plus cheese, many calories are involved.

A huge Orb Weaver - saw an awful lot of these, I gather they're not poisonous.
The next morning there is more beach, but no path - after a while I find myself clambering along rocks at the base of a cliff, this is very hard, at one point I have to drop down a sheer face into the sea, only a foot or so deep at least.  It proves hard to get into Eden this way, a big fenced off area blocks my path requiring a lengthy detour..  Good to get to a proper town anyway, I do a bit of shopping, but then it is tricky getting out too, after more sandbar I follow the only way forward, and end up in someone's (giant) garden.  The afternoon goes rather better, there's a nice path through woods, then a few miles of beach, but of course a sting in the tail, I have to swim a broad river, but in fact it is actually fun, and the look on the faces of people on the other side as I emerge from the water is priceless.

Tough walking on a power line maintenance track.
Next day brings a fine morning of walking, beaches of course, a stroll through the small town of Merimbula, and some pleasant woodland paths.  After an 8am start I am halfway through my planned day's walk by lunch at midday, this is all good.  But then the Kangarutha trail turns out to be a bit of a trial, there is so much steep up and down, surely more than can possibly fit into the supposed nine kilometre distance.  At least today there is no swimming, and in the end I make it to camp for 6pm, time for a rest, then to a bar for fish and chips and a 'schooner' or two of beer.
The Pambula River - took a little while to swim across this one.
Photos to go with this post can be found here.

No comments:

Post a Comment