Wednesday 13 March 2019

NSW Coast Walk : Intro

Making my way from Sydney airport to a hotel.
More adventure!  Well, it is about time, so, off to Australia, not quite a new country for me, but I've never been further than Melbourne Airport here.  A huge place of course, I have a month here so barely time to scratch the surface.  My plan is to take a couple of buses seven hundred kilometres south from Sydney, just over the border into Victoria state, then walk the coast back up.  This is not any kind of official route, there will not be signs, but it has been done before by at least a few people, one of whom has recorded their route so I know more or less where to go.  What can go wrong?

Well, it sure is a long way to the start, I could do without spending much of a night at Singapore airport, though clearly they are set up for it.  Then to Sydney, a bit of hassle buying a SIM card that turns out not to work, then a bit of a trot to my hotel, and a nearby bar for beer and burger.  Beer is pricey here, also looks like they do the same thing as NZ, only special 'liquor stores' can sell it at all, annoying.

Next day I have a long bus ride to Eden where I find a nice campsite, do some shopping, food here is not too pricey at least.  One beer in a bar, but there is no food there so it's back to camp with a pizza, though of course I can't buy a beer to take back with me, all the town's liquor stores having shut, fortunately a generous fellow camper comes to the rescue.  A night in the tent, one more hour of bus to the historic, but tiny, settlement of Genoa, and it is time to start walking!

At the start of the walk in Genoa - behind me you can see the bus I took from Eden.
Photos to go with this post can be found here.

No comments:

Post a Comment