Thursday 28 May 2015

Perpignan - Carcassonne, Day 3

Thermal baths at Rennes-les-Bains.
An early start, and I'm able to check out the thermal baths before heading out - the water really is as hot as, well, a bath.  Again, I fail to find any kind of shop to stock up for lunch, well, I will survive on my fat reserves if nothing comes up I'm sure.  Had a big - and excellent - dinner last night, and plenty of beer anyway.

Plenty of iron in the soil here.
An easy enough day this then, only eighteen miles, in a series of gentle climbs and descents.  A dramatic landscape this, rivers run through deep gorges, the Pyrénées gleam to the South, and at one point I walk through a terrain marked by rich, red earth - fuel, I guess, for the tile factory I pass towards the end of the day.  Not before getting a bit lost in some woods though - my planned route at this point seems not to match anything on the ground.  Only a few hundred yards of slogging through dense forest, but I'm glad it's not longer.

Destination today is Limoux, famous for it's carnival apparently. It's a decent sized place with a choice of restaurants - I enjoy a local Fricassée de Limoux, which contains parts of a pig that would probably be frowned upon in the UK.  There's even a selection of bars here, so I'm able to have a few beers, and watch at least the first half of the Arsenal game before heading to bed.

Église Saint-Martin in Limoux.
Photos to go with this post can be found here.

No comments:

Post a Comment