Monday 18 May 2015

Perpignan - Carcassonne, Day 1

Crossing the river Agli at Cases-de-Pène.
OK, another short walking trip then.  These generally end up being wherever I can find some suitable flights, so this time it's southern France, practically in the Pyrénées, should be good exercise then.  I spend a night at the Stansted Premier Inn - failing to eat the monstrous burger I get there - before an early flight getting to Perpignan for 10am.  Let the walk begin!

The Tour del Far.
The plan for today is twenty miles, doesn't sound too hard, but it sure is hot here, worse than Thailand last week I'd say.  And after a few miles it becomes clear that my route involves climbing a very large hill.  It may not be much compared to the snowy peaks visible to the South, but by English standards this is a tough ascent.  Seems to have some kind of structure on top as well, which turns out to be the Tour del Far, which I'd guess is a folly (nope, turns out it is a medieval signalling tower, the name meaning tower of fire).

Not long after I pass the ruins of real fortifications, this part of the world has been fought over since before Roman times.  I still have a way to go, and while it is mainly downhill, nonetheless it is around 7.30pm when I reach the day's destination, Cucugnan.  Charming place, built on a hill, itself within a steep sided valley, the village climbs up in a series of lanes and steps to the hilltop where there is a windmill.  For me, I enjoy a fine dinner with a pichet of wine, then get an early night - for some reason I'm a bit tired.

Cucugnan.
Photos to go with this post can be found here.

No comments:

Post a Comment