Tuesday 12 June 2012

Beacons Way, Day 9

One last trig point.
Definitely overdid the booze last night - I have 20 miles to do today, and my train leaves Newport at 8pm, so I was rather hoping to set off before 9, particularly as for the first time in a week there is a chance of a pub lunch.  Instead I set off after 10, muscles protesting at being asked to work after being extensively poisoned...

Archaic signage by the canal.
My route down towards Newport turns out to be a pretty good addition to the Beacons Way, the National Park extends a fair distance towards the coast and I start by climbing up along another pleasant wooded gorge, and then tramp across Blorenge, then along a last outlying ridge of the beacons, with views back to Skirrid Fawr and Table Mountain behind, and Newport in front.  As the ridge peters out I descend down towards Pontypool, my planned lunch stop... still feeling rather rough I decide against the pub, also it is half past three and I still have some way to go.  In any case most of the pubs seem to shut, as indeed are most of the shops, Pontypool has seen better days it seems.  I manage to find some lunch in a rather odd supermarket whose stock consists almost entirely of frozen food and multipacks of soft drinks.

Newport!
After a little struggle finding the cycle route that is my way out of town - it turns out to run up on stilts above a main road - I find myself still some nine miles away from Newport at 4.30.  Time to get moving - fortunately from here the whole remaining distance is along the Brecon and Monmouth Canal, so nothing but flat or gentle downhill terrain.  It makes a nice change after the preceding days of mountains and gorges... also the rain is holding off, and in the event I make an excellent pace, reaching Newport by 7.15.  Time for a quick beer before getting the train back to London, where I then have to get the tube across town and bike home - riding at 30mph through the darkened streets seems terrifyingly fast.  And, appropriately enough, it is chucking it down with rain.

Photos to go with this post can be found here.

No comments:

Post a Comment