Friday 8 June 2012

Beacons Way, Day 5

I can see where I'm going!
So, after the trials of yesterday I'm feeling rather less than optimistic about the planned 20 mile walk.  In fact, I'm seriously intending to forgo my plan to walk an extra four miles to get to a pub, and instead camp up on the hill.  I set myself a target of 6pm to reach the point where I need to divert to the pub... if I don't make it I'm wild camping again.

As the morning wears on though, the weather is actually not so bad - it isn't raining and the clouds are high enough that once I've slogged up the hill I do get a view.  And a pretty impressive view too, on all sides the hills crowd around me, while in between little villages nestle in the valleys - it is nice to be able to see some sign of humanity, after yesterday when I seemed to be marooned in a bleak wasteland with little evidence of human impact.


It's almost... nice.
The day wears on and I walk into the heart of the national park, paths becoming more heavily trodden, although still the Beacons Way seems to be more a line on a map rather than a well used route. For a wonder, the weather improves and I get actual sunshine, and even when I climb above the cloud line it is an ethereal, glowing place rather than a damp, windy hell.  Spurred on, I reach my point of decision by 5.30, and as it is up a mountain, in a cloud, the pub seems a good plan.

I do worry that I lose a lot of height getting to the Tai'r Bull Inn, it is worth it however as the pasta is tasty and they have a nice pint of Dorothy Goodbody's.  In a moment of weakness I ask if there is room at the inn, but it's full, so, off back up the hill I go.
Some blue sky, and a view!
Photos to go with this post can be found here.

No comments:

Post a Comment