Wednesday 6 June 2012

Beacons Way, Day 4

Camping au naturel.
An interesting wake up, on a hill in the middle of nowhere.  The less said about the sanitary arrangements the better... Anyway, off into the hills.  I head straight up, and before long I am unsurprisingly, in a cloud.  The Way goes up and down, I guess I am now in the Beacons, there certainly seem to be a lot of them.  The route seems to be designed to visit as many as possible, often I'll climb to one pile of stones and then turn off at 90 degrees towards another.

It's just a shame the weather is so grim, the rain is constant, with a relentless driving wind that seems to always be against me.  And of course while the views should be amazing - I spend most of the day along ridges or cliff edges - I see none of them.  At least my pace is good, there being little reason to stop, and this evening goes to plan with an open campsite, and a pub, the Gwyn Arms where I eat until my stomach hurts.
What on earth am I doing up here?

The Gwyn Arms.
At the campsite I have a small problem though - not only are all my clothes wet, but the rain has also got to my sleeping bag.  Even with the whole sodden mass wrapped around me it is very cold, and I'm reduced to lighting my stove to warm the tent up.  I manage not to set fire to it at least...








Photos to go with this post can be found here.

No comments:

Post a Comment