Monday 4 June 2012

Beacons Way, Day 3

Oh little town... in South Wales?
Didn't sleep too well, think I should have brought the zero degree bag, even if the forecast was for a minimum temperature of 12.  That does include the night yeah?  Never mind, I still seem able to walk, back through Llangadog and along the valley, until at midday I find myself in Bethlehem.  It's in South Wales, who knew?  It's also the start of the Beacons Way, time to get up on the hills.

Finally on the Way!
Getting onto a marked path is a big improvement, while I don't meet any hikers the path at least looks used, and the signposts help, though after walking nearly a mile the wrong way I learn not to rely on them.  I eat my lunch among the impressive ruins of an iron age hill fort, entirely alone except for a number of presumably wild horses... Later on the route spirals around the magnificent 13th century Carreg Cennen castle, before heading back up yet more hill.

Come 7pm or so I have a choice, the Way continues West, but 3 miles South is a pub... OK it's a no brainer... actually the trip is well worth it, I tramp along the hill top and then down into a wooded gorge, there is a proper paved footpath and the surroundings are, well, gorgeous.  Beer and steak at the Tregib Arms is good too.  Of course I do now have to walk back up the gorge in the dark to find a place to camp on the hill.  Good thing I have my head torch...


Carreg Cennen.

Photos to go with this post can be found here.

No comments:

Post a Comment