Monday 4 June 2012

Beacons Way, Day 2

There's a footpath here somewhere, allegedly.
Up bright and early, and at least I get a cooked breakfast at the Stag and Pheasant, before heading out into the morning drizzle.  My route is through cultivated land this morning, fine when it's logging roads, not so good through farmland.  Still little evidence these paths are used, except by cows who have churned the ground into a treacherous morass with the occasional solid hummock standing out among the hoofprints.  I find a new use for my poles, testing the firmness of the ground ahead.

Still I'm making good time, and before midday I'm in Llandeilo, a pleasant little town perched above the river Towy.  Also my last chance to shop for six days, so I stock up on cheese, biscuits and chocolate.  Better yet there are pubs, time for a pint of Cwrw - yes, a beer called 'beer' - in the White Horse.  Pity I wasn't here on Friday for the beer festival...

Approaching Llandeilo.
The afternoon doesn't go quite so well, the rain is still coming down, and for some time my route is through fields of long grass sodden with water.  The poles are useless, before long the waterproofing on my boots gives up, and I'm quite wet by the time I reach the campsite.

The Red Lion, Llangadog.
At least it is open... in fact this evening goes to plan, I get some beer and a proper three course dinner at the Red Lion.  Just a shame it is a mile and a half from the campsite, there is a nearer pub but it is shut and indeed for sale.  A fine opportunity I'm sure, given the prime location in Llangadog's surprisingly large industrial zone, opposite the silage depot, next to the scrapyard, and just across the tracks from the dog food factory...

Photos to go with this post can be found here.

No comments:

Post a Comment