Wednesday 19 June 2019

Munro Madness : 2

Munros this section :
Stob Coire Sgriodain
Chno Dearg
Beinn na Lap
Carn Dearg (Rannoch region)
Sgor Gaibhre
Beinn Bheoil
Ben Alder
Beinn Eibhinn
Aonach Beag (Alder region)
Geal-Charn (Alder region)
Carn Dearg (Alder region)
Beinn a' Chlachair
Creag Pitridh
Geal Charn (Loch Laggan)

Stob Coire Sgriodain.
Not giving up on the madness yet.  The tent now has guy ropes - string from the nice people at the campsite.  My sleeping bag is dry thanks to their tumble dryer, and wrapped in two layers of black rubbish sacks, so I am prepared.  Two Munros the first day out of Roy Bridge, Stob Coire Sgriodain and Chno Dearg.  And the climbs go well, it does seem warmer, and there is an awesome view from the tops, several lochs visible, many pointy hills, and little sign of humanity.  I make camp around 5pm, there is even some sunshine, this is good.

Chno Dearg.
The next day brings three more Munros, and good views from each, this is more like it.  Really rather awesome to stand atop these high mountains with the wild country spread out below me.  There's some more sun in the afternoon, and I am making decent time again, shame about the five kilometres of trackless bog to end the day, still, I can take it.  But then, a tussock collapses beneath my foot, I end up on my bottom, and one of my poles jams into the peat, bending in two places.  Sigh...

Sgor Gaibhre.
The ups and downs, both literal and figurative, continue.  I climb five Munros in a day, and four more the next, wow.  And something of a miracle, I find a newish trekking pole just lying around near the summit of Ben Alder!  But, in another peat bog related incident, I bend my remaining Walmart pole - just a little though, it is still functional.  Worse, I descend from a mountain where the usual hurricane is blowing and try to put up the tent - doesn't seem too windy to me, but the tent disagrees, before I know it one of the poles has snapped.  Well, this is why I have repair sleeves... I get to Dalwhinnie anyway, only one night here, but it is in a B&B, so, a proper bed and real food.  Warmth!

Ben Alder.
Photos to go with this post can be found here.

No comments:

Post a Comment