Friday 14 June 2019

Munro Madness : 1

Munros this section :
A' Chailleach (Monadh Liath)
Carn Sgulain
Carn Dearg (Monadh Liath)
Geal Charn (Monadh Liath)
Carn Liath (Loch Laggan)
Stob Poite Coire Ardair
Creag Meagaidh
Beinn a' Chaorainn (Loch Laggan)
Beinn Teallach

A' Chailleach (Monadh Liath).
Time for more Timmy madness!  This time I'm in Scotland, the plan is to see how many Munros - notable hills and mountains over three thousand feet - I can climb in a month.  What can possibly go wrong?

Well, I get up the first couple OK, hard work but totally worth it for the fine view of the inside of a cloud from the top of each.  I make my way towards number three, eventually reaching the high point of a long ridge and a familiar cairn.  Oops, seems I turned around somehow and I walked back to Munro number two...

OK, I keep going, need to keep moving as it is really very cold up here.  I camp in the hills, another small problem, seems I threw away the tent's guy ropes along with the cheap pegs it came with, oops again.  It doesn't blow away, although my sleeping bag is damp from walking in the clouds, makes for a cold night.

Carn Dearg (Monadh Liath).
More gruelling ascents, more horrible weather - on the approach to the summit of Creag Meagaidh, there is such a howling gale that I fear being blown off the edge, so I make my way along the steep, but sheltered slope below the ridge, then crawl to the top on my belly.  Then on my second night, the wind is so strong that I need to remove my shoelaces to use as guy ropes....  Very much a relief to get down for a rest at Roy Bridge.  My fingers don't seem to want to warm up, but, it will get warmer yeah?  Here's hoping.

Creag Meagaidh.  Pronounced 'craig meggy' apparently.
Photos to go with this post can be found here.

No comments:

Post a Comment