Sunday 14 September 2014

The Highlands, Day 7

Was hard work getting up here.
After the trials of the last couple of days I'm hoping today will be a little easier, only sixteen miles and no mountains!  Doesn't mean nothing will go wrong mind you, and a mile or so in I find myself walking through the centre of one of the 'estates' that cover this part of the world, where a groundsman or some such tells me I shouldn't be there.  Well, at least he lets me continue on to the moor, where presumably the right to roam applies.

Hut in Glen Tanar.
There may be no mountain today, but nonetheless there is climbing, I slog over the misty moor up to a respectable six hundred metres or so.  From here I make my own way, there being no path going in the right direction.  Starting out over short, dry heather this is OK, but soon enough I am struggling through bog, the mist closes in and it really isn't very nice.  Relief comes in the form of a gate leading to the neighbouring estate, of course I have to climb it, but on the other side is a faint but definitely real track.  Following it leads me to the rather charming Glen Tanar, which with a series of waterfalls and small lochs brings me back to the Dee.

Crossing the river I reach today's destination, Aboyne, though sadly the campsite is a mile or so further on.  Nice location though, on a near-island in a loch.  Back to town and I find a pub for quite a few pints of McEwans, and a decent plate of mussels.  Scottish TV is playing, it seems to mainly involve terrible (and English) soap operas...

Aboyne Loch.
Photos to go with this post can be found here.

No comments:

Post a Comment