Friday 16 September 2011

And so it begins...

Just what the internet needs, another blog.

Well, it isn't as though I am forcing anybody to read it. Indeed, I'm not sure I really expect many people to do so, certainly for the time being. And frankly that isn't a problem... while I guess at some point in the future friends and family may use it to keep updated on whatever I'm doing, for now the thing is for my own benefit as much as anything. That will remain true in the future as well.

Essentially the thing is intended to be an aide-memoire, or even a substitute-for-memoire. I guess I have as much memory space in my brain as most people, but the fact is that while retrieval from it works pretty well for technical work related stuff, or plotlines of obscure 1970s TV shows, when it comes to my actual personal experiences it isn't so good. Maybe I have filled it up with the aforementioned TV plotlines etc, or maybe I've killed the necessary parts of my brain with beer, but anyway...

This isn't a problem with the day to day grind of work of course, I really don't need to be able to recall exactly how many coffees I drank on a given day. But when I'm off doing something a bit more exciting, which for me will mean some kind of expedition, it would be nice to have some sort of record, either in my brain or outside of it. So maybe the act of writing a short piece on what happened each day will help commit things to the grey matter... or if not, at least I can go back and read my own blog to find out what I was up to.

Eventually I suppose, it will be impossible to say whether I remember things actually happening, or me writing them down, or reading what I had written later on. I'm not sure that is terribly important though.

Of course none of this would be necessary if my mate Alex would stop wasting his time being a pillar of the UK's high tech engineering sector and just follow me around with a camcorder. Although, not twenty four hours a day obviously.

Anyway... enough wittering, on with the travelling. This will begin tomorrow with a little trek in the Peak District, an entry describing the plan for this may well turn up later.

Needed a picture for the first entry, so walked east for a bit, this is one of the 'Pirate Ships' by Tobacco Dock

No comments:

Post a Comment