Sunday 29 July 2018

Cotswolds : Day 3

Taking tea in Wooton.
Another night in a random bit of wood, and this time it actually rains - has been a bit dry in England over the last few weeks I gather.  Well, the tent copes - this is the one I bought for the Grand Canyon back in 2007, I replaced the poles that broke during the 2015 festival marathon.  There's life in it yet...  The route continues to be very pleasant, through hilltop cornfields with splendid views.  I walk down into Wooton-under-Edge, historic centre of the wool industry and now a charming little place - I check out some 17th century almshouses, then enjoy a pot of tea in a 16th century garden.  And then into the hills once more, am liking the Cotswold Way I must say, beautiful country this.  Lots of monuments too - on an edge overlooking the Severn I find an impressive memorial to John Tyndale, first to translate the bible into English and martyred for his trouble.  There's a spiral staircase inside which I duly climb, good view from up here.  Not much further to walk from here - honestly, taking seven days for this trail is not terribly strenuous.   And shockingly enough, I finish the walk at an actual campsite!  Ashen Plains it is called, I'm vaguely expecting it to resemble the gates of Mordor, but it seems nice enough.  And yes, there is a nearby pub...

Tyndale Monument.

Photos to go with this post can be found here

No comments:

Post a Comment