Friday 27 July 2018

Cotswolds : Day 2

Rather pretty up here.
I make camp in a random bit of wood, not for the first time, but it works out fine.  I did try to find campsites, but mostly they were a few miles off route, and then either wouldn't answer their phone, or did and said 'no tents'.  Ho hum.  Will try in person at a couple of them.  An early start then, and nice walking, up into hills with fine views as far as Wales.  I pass Norman churches and Iron Age hill forts, massive stately homes and a charming newly built folly - intended as a home for barn owls apparently, all seems very English.  Sheep graze, the trail is in good condition - I meet a volunteer who has been whacking nettles, good work that man.  There are plenty of hikers up here, many of them American or German, well why not.  My start this morning featured a monument to civil war luminary Sir Breville Granville, and my day ends with another, this time to Lord General Somerset, a contemporary of Wellington it seems.  And then, shockingly enough, to a pub...

Lord Somerset Monument.

Photos to go with this post can be found here

No comments:

Post a Comment