Saturday 28 September 2013

Peak District Déja Vu, Day 4

I walk out of the campsite and straight onto the Tissington Trail, also an old railway line, and another childhood memory, this time of me and the family rattling along on ancient bicycles.  The Trail leads to Ashbourne, where I do plan to be later, but my route is a little longer, so I climb away from the Trail to the West.

Cottage in need of restoration on the Okeover estate.
In fact soon I am crossing the Dove into Staffordshire, whose footpaths are as little used as I recall from last time.  Still, it's pleasant walking through the rolling hills - seems a popular area with the landed gentry too, I pass through a couple of estates.  Then back to the Tissington Trail and into Ashbourne, via an impressive tunnel.

I eat my lunch in a field, the stilton I got in Hartington yesterday going nicely with some fresh bread.  Then out of the National Park... actually it makes a nice change, I walk through woods and then wetland, thankfully the path consists of wooden decking here.  Then a few miles of fields, and finally some road to reach the campsite.  Then even more road to the Tiger Inn, worth it though for some excellent sea bream and cheesecake.

Ashbourne tunnel.  Complete with sound effects evoking long gone steam trains.
Photos to go with this post can be found here.

No comments:

Post a Comment