Friday 27 September 2013

Peak District Déja Vu, Day 3

On the footpath out of Hartington.
I'm breaking new ground this morning, thanks to the minor disaster two years ago I didn't do this bit of the route... turns out to be a pleasant mile or two on the Limestone Way, then I'm back on familiar territory, the High Peak Trail, one of two trails around these parts following old railway lines.

A few miles on and I leave the Trail and road walk a mile or two into Hartington, famous for its stilton, and a well of childhood memories for me.  The footpath I take out of the village is particularly evocative, I can almost see my former self dashing along, with my mother, father and brother following me.

Before long I join the river Dove, which I follow through Wolfcote Dale, Beresford Dale and Milldale.  Then just as Dovedale itself starts at the famous stepping stones I leave the river and take some little used footpaths to the campsite for the night.  I've made excellent time along the river, it is only 5pm, gives me time to have a shower and do a bit of laundry... shame the pub is a mile away though.

Following the Dove.
Photos to go with this post can be found here.

No comments:

Post a Comment