Wednesday 25 September 2013

Peak District Déja Vu, Day 1

Sausages in waiting.
Yes, I'm repeating myself again... well, as it happens I've been doing this bloggery for two years, so a good way to celebrate is to revisit the first trip I wrote about.  Nice to get back to Sheffield too, has been too long since I had a pint in the Sheaf View.

So, on a Wednesday morning I set out through the city streets, and walk a couple of miles beside the solid, stone built houses.  Then into parkland alongside Porter Brook, which leads me up past a series of mill ponds, remnants of cottage industry here over two hundred years ago.  Soon enough I reach open moorland, and feel something of a weight lift as I tramp along... think I needed to get away for a bit.  Mind you it is still nice to find some home comfort at the Fox House a few miles later.

Misty moor.
After lunch I strike out over the moors, which seem quite desolate on this misty day.  Warm enough anyway... To my annoyance my camera is struggling with the new SD card I've put in it - well, I suppose I do already have photos of this route.

I dip down into the Derwent Valley and follow the river for a few miles, then face the first proper climb of the trip, Smelting Hill.  It's not too bad, still I feel I've done a proper day's work on reaching Hope.  Time to eat absurd amounts of pork - feel slightly guilty having passed at least four pigs over the course of the day.

Hiking along the Derwent.
Photos to go with this post can be found here.

No comments:

Post a Comment