Saturday 2 March 2013

Shevil Israel, Day 5

Heading towards Tel Aviv - Reading Power Station is in the
centre - close up images readily available on the internet.
Trouble with a real bed is, I really don't want to get out of it, for one thing my feet are killing me.  Twenty-one miles to go though, so best, or least worst, foot forward.  I successfully improvise a route to join the INT at a beach just North of Tel Aviv, then walk along the prom until I say goodbye to the Med in the scenic environs of Reading Power Station.  Time to get the camera out then - no sooner done though, than a fat old guy wearing a pair of speedos jogs over and demands I delete my photo, or he'll call the police!  Not wishing to prolong this disturbing encounter I comply... "I care about my country" he says.

Walking through the grapefruit groves...
Well, not sure if he called the cops, but a hundred yards along another black 4x4 rolls up, this time the machine gun toting guard wants to see, and indeed photograph, my passport.  Well, you know what?  I too care about my country, as much as anything because for all its faults it still upholds certain freedoms, such as, you know, being able to photograph things without having automatic weapons waved at you...

Anyway... my route from here stays beside water, this time the Yarqon river.  For several miles I'm in parks on the north side of Tel Aviv - I planned to get some shopping done here, but forget to do it, trying to get to the safety of the country I guess.  Well, before long I am walking between tall reeds, and the Yarqon is little more than a creek.  Having failed to shop, I eat into my chocolate reserves for lunch, supplemented by a grapefruit from the, er... grove? I am walking past.

Seems the river is with me all day... eventually I reach the Yarqon springs.  I had planned on cooking my own dinner this night, but after the day I've had I fancy a beer, so, I attempt to go to Rosh Ha'an... I get as far as the old train station, which is now two rail lines and a motorway away from town.  Oh well... a quick hike through Tel Afek park - lovely in daylight I'm sure - and I'm at my planned camp spot.  Seems to be a ploughed field, so I keep walking and after a bit find some bare earth to camp on... Not feeling too hungry, also can't be bothered to cook, so I eat the last of my chocolate then go to bed.

Bedroll worked surprisingly well at cushioning the rocks...
Photos to go with this post can be found here.

No comments:

Post a Comment