Thursday 28 February 2013

Shevil Israel, Day 4

Hiking on the beach.
Another long day, twenty-three miles in fact, but at least it is pretty flat. In fact after a few miles along a river, I find myself back on the beach, looks like I'll be on it all day.  No problem then, the sand is firm and easy to walk on, and I make excellent time for lunch at the pleasant seaside town of Netanya.

As the afternoon wears on though I grow disenchanted with the beach, walking with one leg slightly higher is getting painful, and at times the surface is more like a fine gravel that makes for very heavy going.  It doesn't help when I realise I should have been up on the cliff for the last few miles... explains the nudist beach I suppose.  So, at the point the INT rejoins the beach, I take a look at the guide, and it says something about taking the cliff path if rocks block the beach.  So I head up, anything to get away from the beach... of course this is a bad idea.

Netanya.
The cliff path zigs and zags, and then a deep gorge opens up before me.  Looks like I could scramble down it to the beach, but on the other side I can see houses and streets, presumably another resort town.  So, I head inland, aiming for a road... annoyingly there's a fence between me and it, but I find a gap, get to the tarmac and sit down for a breather.  I haven't been there two minutes when a black 4x4 turns up, and the occupants politely explain I am on private property.  Oh good, a gated community... well, nothing else for it, I backtrack, descend the gorge and return to, yay, the beach.

Well, another couple of hours, including bouldering by headtorch for a bit, I reach my hotel - four star luxury today, very nice too.  I consume some excellent fish, a few Goldstars, and retire to an actual honest to goodness bed.
Sunset over the Med.
Photos to go with this post can be found here.

No comments:

Post a Comment