Monday 4 March 2013

Shevil Israel, Day 8

Farewell to the Israel National Trail.

Only eleven miles!  The plan was, if I lost a day for any reason a short last day would mean I could still make my flight.  As it is I can take things easy, so after climbing the Sataf I grab some breakfast - it is still Shabbat, but no problem getting a coffee, or even a beer here.

Before long it is time to say goodbye to the Israel National trail, which keeps on South all the way to Eilat - one day maybe.  Hello though, to the Jerusalem Trail, a twenty-five mile or so circular walk reaching from the hills beyond the city, where I am now, to the Mount of Olives east of the Old City.  It makes for a pleasant walk anyway, though I do spend a while stuck behind a group of students.  Feet feel a bit better today too.

Hills outside Jerusalem.
I'd hoped to pay my respects at the Yad Vashem Holocaust museum, it is shut however so instead I head up the informational path to Mount Hertzl.  This provides a stirring history of the Zionist struggle against first the British administration, then the nefarious Arabs.

From here it is a winding and hilly route through the parks and residential streets of the modern city.  I pass the Knesset - more machine guns - and the starting gate for the Jerusalem marathon, which took place this morning.  Had hoped to get lunch hereabouts but it is all shut, so I push on to my hotel.  Nice to finish walking in daylight, also very nice to have a shower.  I celebrate arriving in the Holy City with several beers and a 'Jerusalem Mix' - beef, chicken and merguez, grilled.  No holiday is complete without merguez.

The Knesset.
Photos to go with this post can be found here.

No comments:

Post a Comment