Tuesday 8 May 2012

France by bike, day 2



MV Bretagne
May have drunk a bit too much last night, either that or the guillotine I got put in by a stage magician did more damage than it seemed at the time... Whichever, I'm really in no state to cycle, and though the roads in Brittany are straight and flat, progress is slow.  It's half past twelve before I spot the Mont St Michel, my planned lunch stop, and it's another hour before I get there... Still can't face beer so I revisit my childhood and have a diabolo menthe with my crudités, moules frites and tarte aux pommes.  Yum.

The Mont is an amazing place, shame I have neither the time nor the energy to explore much of it.  As it is I struggle through the Japanese tourists along a few medieval fortifications and vertiginous stairs before getting back on the bike.
Mont St Michel

Sadly progress continues to be slow.  I feel a bit better, but Normandy proves to be quite hilly... Avranches is particularly bad, a long steep push alongside a dual carriageway to get to it, and then what turns out to be a footpath out of town, so steep I have to walk.  It's a hard slog to Villedieu les Poëles, and I finally roll in at half past seven - there are probably people who could have run it in better time.  In time for dinner at least.  Must say I'm not too impressed by the French attitude to bikes though... I actually got beeped a couple of times today, thought that only happened in America. And the hotel charged me seven euros to put the thing in their garage.  Tut.

I'm in France alright...

Photos to go with this post can be found here.

No comments:

Post a Comment