Friday 4 May 2012

France by bike, day 1


Alice Holt Forest
Well, Holland was fun last year, and the French are up there with the Dutch as reputed cycle-lovers.  We shall see.  For now I just need to get to Portsmouth in time for the ferry, not hard given I cheated and got the train to Farnborough last night.  Cheers Mum and Dad for putting me up :)

Still, plenty of hills between me and the South Coast, requiring a fair bit of pushing.  At least it's not raining, much, though rivers are swollen and fords impassable.  I also struggle to find some lunch, passing through several villages with neither shop nor pub, I settle for Petersfield Tesco in the end.

The drought continues...
I ride a bit of the South Downs Way - probably easier on a mountain bike, and from there the going is easy enough to Portsmouth.  Time for a beer or three in the Drake before getting on the ferry.  Nice place, looks like there will be music later, but I have places to go.

I do like these overnight ferries I must say, there is a bar, a good restaurant, even a bit of entertainment.  A sort of mini-cruise, the mini bit being good as I'd go stir crazy on a proper cruise I'm sure.  Whereas here I'll be off at 8am tomorrow with another 60 miles to do.
The Admiral Drake.

Photos to go with this post can be found here here.

No comments:

Post a Comment