Friday 30 August 2019

Glyndwr's Way : 2

Certainly a pretty part of the world, this.
I head back east from Machynlleth - I almost got to the coast, in fact I may just about have seen the sea in the distance.  I seem to be getting into slightly more inhabited parts, by which I mean, some of the valleys contain tiny villages, often even with a small shop.  Had I known these were there I could have planned to resupply, but it seems this is a part of the world that internet mapping sites are still unaware of...

Pretty though, and the weather just about holds up, it rains a little most days, and quite a lot at night, but decent walking weather really, all good fun, and I am even enjoying the luxury of proper campsites each evening now.  The first of these is essentially a farm in the middle of nowhere, but after that I get actual pubs with beer, wouldn't be much of a walking trip without these things.

Some of the many random bits of cloth and crochet decor in Meiford.
I continue towards the English border, not too far now, the terrain growing flatter and increasingly forested, I walk on gravel logging tracks much of the time.  Still not seeing many walkers - at one campsite I'm told they do get a lot of people doing it - as much as one or two every month!  Hmm.  People also tell me this is a tough walk, can't say it seems so to me.  Certainly not a terribly long one, I finish the thing in a little less than eight easy days, arriving in Welshpool in plenty of time to get my train.  In fact the train is cancelled, oh well, time for a bit of shopping and a beer before the next one.

Well, this was a good walk anyway, certainly recommended to anybody wanting to get away from it all!  I think the wild camping could be avoided if you were willing to fork out B&B prices, though personally I quite like being by myself in a wood for a night or two.  Do be prepared to get wet though - I think I was quite lucky with the weather, but even so I had a fair bit of bog to walk through.

I succeeded again!
Photos to go with this post can be found here.

No comments:

Post a Comment