Monday 10 September 2018

France - Belgium - Holland Cycling : 3

Distance this section : 291km
Distance completed : 1058km

Lovely riding by the sea.
Two days should be enough rest, in fact it is more like two and a half, as I only have a short day out of Donville.  I ride past my parents' old house, it is still there.  A few big hills today, I feel a bit stronger but still need to push sometimes.  Nonetheless I get to Tessy-sur-Vire where I plan to camp not much after 4pm, however the campsite is shut, they are setting up for a festival on it.  My GPS comes to the rescue, there's another campsite nearby in Domjean, it seems to be free and is very nice, it has toilets with actual paper!  Also a shop next to it, where I buy strong beer by mistake...

One of numerous memorial tanks along the Norman coast.
That beer was definitely an error, next morning I ride the wrong way for an hour, not great.  The right way has some nice cycle route by a river for a few miles, but after that there are many steep hills.  Destination today is Bayeux, I remember last time I was around these parts I took a direct route along main roads which worked well, this time I follow a signed cycle route which is... not great, lots of climbing, lots of weaving about.  I don't really have time to sightsee in Bayeux, instead I head straight for an excellent Chinese buffet.  It has whelks, well this is France.

Pegasus Bridge.
From Bayeux I head to the coast, and then ride along it, easy and scenic riding, also interesting as these are the Normandy Landing beaches, there are many memorials, informational plaques and so forth.  I pass the ferry terminal at Ouistreham, then cross the historic Pegasus Bridge before heading back to the coast, tonight's stop being the pretty seaside town of Houlgate.  I briefly consider taking a day off here, but I'm only three days out of Donville, and it would mean a seven day stretch without a break next, onwards it is then.

The throbbing heart of Brionne on a Sunday.

I leave the coast, through charming countryside with many half timbered buildings, some even have thatched roofs, very quaint.  An easy enough day too, mostly flat including a section of old railway leading out of Pont-l'Évêque.  I've managed to forget it is Sunday again though, doh.  Brionne has many bars, all shut, I am directed to the football club by the campsite who sell me a couple of beers, then thankfully a creperie is open and I can get a decent meal.  Time for that day off, I have just about earned it, nice to have a rest, do washing and bike maintenance, I also find time to visit the ruined eleventh century Donjon overlooking the town, and even read one of the campsite's collection of French children's books.  And tonight the bars are open, yay.

Photos to go with this post can be found here

No comments:

Post a Comment