Friday 26 February 2016

Te Araroa : Lake Tekapo to Twizel

KM this section : 69
KM completed : 2439

Lake Pukaki.
After pretty much taking a day off to hitchhike I don't feel the need of another, so farewell to Lake Tekapo, time for a bit of road walking.  Easy going of course, makes a nice change and I have the gravel road pretty much to myself, walking through flat, windy country with the inevitable ring of mountains on the horizon.  Eventually the route leads downhill, towards another lake, the massive Lake Pukaki, big enough it could pass for a coastal inlet, particularly with the wind driving substantial waves onto the shingle beach.  I manage to find a sheltered spot to camp anyway, there is even a nearby toilet, somewhat oddly placed in pretty much the middle of nowhere.

The Tahr.
Not long to go next morning, and a pleasant if windy walk along the lakeside - the road joins a busier highway, but I head onto a cycle path instead.  For lunch, I shelter from the wind at a small tourist information centre cum salmon shop, am amused to see that where Lake Tekapo has a sheepdog statue, Lake Pukaki has a sheep.  Well sort of, the Himalayan Tahr doesn't look like it worries easily.  I also run into fellow hiker Nathalie, she tells me that the burned patch of lakeside we passed earlier was actually caused by a TA hiker starting an illegal rubbish fire.  Oops.

Downtown Twizel.
A little more cycle trail and I am in Twizel, and now I think it is time for a break.  For one, a day of fast walking on gravel has given me a small blister, could use a day to heal.  But mainly, Twizel seems really nice, a proper compact little town, good shops and many pubs, that is me sorted for a day or so.  Very nice to kick back a bit, relax at the campsite just a short walk across the rugby pitch from the town centre, and generally sort out my plans for the remaining walking.  Seems I won't be seeing many hotel rooms, looks like NZ is pretty full, ah well I am used to the tent now.  Twizel even has an outdoor pool, well, I have to get some exercise, not least to work up an appetite for copious amounts of fish and chips...

Photos to go with this post can be found here.

1 comment:

  1. Don't think anyone is going to mess with that sheep. He is one awesome sheep.

    ReplyDelete