Thursday 28 February 2013

Shevil Israel, Day 3

Al fresco gaming outside Zikhron Ya'akov.
Only eighteen miles today, but after yesterday I feel rather broken and resolve to take things slowly.  At least the going seems easier.  The history of this land is now showing, I pass Herodian and Byzantine ruins, then a small aqueduct which impressively is still running with water.  Then I reach, and walk along a much larger Roman aqueduct, which once fed the town of Caesarea.

Caesarea amphitheatre.
After eating my lunch on the beach, and dipping my toes in the Mediterranean, it's not far to Caesarea itself.  It is certainly well worth the trip, I marvel at the Crusader fortifications, the Byzantine palace, and the still functional amphitheatre.

From here it is a short schlep to Hadera, where after the 30 Shekel (£6) beers yesterday, I worry I don't have enough cash.  A helpful young man lets me get some money through his till - as it turns out I don't need it of course.  Food comes from a fast food style place where despite limited English they supply a tasty kebab with many pickles.  And next door a 'bar' will sell me a bottle of local Goldstar beer for 12 Shekels, provided I sit outside to drink it...
Carmel cliffs.
Photos to go with this post can be found here.

No comments:

Post a Comment