Tuesday 7 August 2018

Cotswolds : Day 7

Traction action!
Last day of the Cotswold Way, I think I could probably do with a rest, it has actually been pretty strenuous what with the various detours to campsites.  More hills today, and once again all manner of interesting stuff too - various manor houses, some very pretty little villages with houses of local stone with thatched roofs, and at one point I even pass a pub as a number of miniature steam traction engines pull up outside.  And why not.  Later on is a fairly substantial town, Broadway, filled with tourists checking out the various historic buildings, and on a hill above it a rather charming little castle.

Broadway Castle.
Not much of the way remains, before long I am at the end in Chipping Campden, unsurprisingly there are many historic stone buildings here, and next to one of them there is even a marker for the end of the Cotswold Way!  Well that is good, another UK National Trail done, it was a good one I must say, nice to do some walking in Britain, and much respect to the volunteer wardens who keep this trail in good shape.  I didn't have to apply for any kind of permit to do it either!  Of course I can't rest just yet, it is another five miles or so to the nearest train station at Honeybourne which means some less than pleasant road walking, and a bit of footpath through fields, where of all the luck I get set upon by a tick of some kind.  Hopefully not carrying any horrid diseases but we'll see... either way, I am sure I'll be off on my travels again soon.


That is six long distance trails done now!

Photos to go with this post can be found here

No comments:

Post a Comment