Friday 3 August 2018

Cotswolds : Day 5

Cooper's Hill.
Day five of my little walk in the west country, and it's a long one, I reckon at least twenty-two miles or so, mainly as I plan to make a substantial detour to find a campsite to the south of Cheltenham.  My old mate Austin is driving over from Wales to meet me there - I reckon he probably wasn't up for wild camping in the woods somewhere.  I also suspect he is to blame for the rain that continues to fall on and off - he always was good at making water fall from the sky, somehow or other.

Pencil shaped bollards in suburban Cheltenham.
The route continues to be hilly but very scenic, and there are plenty of points of interest, for instance early on I pass Cooper's Hill, scene of the annual cheese rolling event which is known the world over as a prime example of 'stuff those whacky Brits do'.  Then more hills and more hill forts, before leaving the Way and making a descent towards Cheltenham.  My route leads through suburban streets, plus a few footpaths, which unfortunately mostly seem to be shut due to construction work, a bit of a pain as I have to detour around.  I nonetheless beat Austin to the campsite, but don't have to wait long before heading off to a pub for beer and fish and chips, it is all most cheap.

Photos to go with this post can be found here

No comments:

Post a Comment