Sunday 20 August 2000

Pennine Way 2000 : Day 2 : Crowden to Standedge

The Pain Barrier

Reality dawns on us with bits of our bodies that we didn't even know we have hurting.  It would be bad enough just lying in bed, but we have to walk, in fact we have to walk up a slope that our guide describes as 'gruelling' - a word that we soon begin to dread, even more than 'exhilarating', which also seems to be a euphemism for 'very steep'.

Black Hill.
The slope seems to go on forever, and our spirits aren't improved when we are overtaken by lunatics actually running up it.  By the time we get to the top, less than two miles into the day, we are already exhausted. Pressing on we reach the summit of Black Hill (P1), at which Austin demonstrates the peaty quality of the soil by sinking in up to his waist.

For some reason I calculate the distance for the day at 22 miles, as opposed to the 18 it actually is, and Austin makes it plain that he isn't up for walking that far... after a full and frank exchange of views, I hope that he feels a bit stronger when we reach lunch, still at least 6 miles away.  But as the day wears on I too start to feel the strain, and as the route becomes a series of scrambles up and down ravines, I start to realise that I really should have eaten more the day before.  With a mile to go until our 'lunch stop', I concede that Austin was right, as I barely have the strength to carry on.

Pub!
Somehow we make it, despite a bad moment when the pub marked on the map is closed.  Thankfully some friendly locals are able to point us to the Great Western (P2), where I take the opportunity to lighten my load a little.  It's strange how so many things that seemed vital when I first packed my bag are now surplus to requirements...  While we do spend a pleasant afternoon in the pub, we have to face the fact that we have only walked 11 miles, and after only two days are well behind schedule.


Photos to go with this post can be found here.

No comments:

Post a Comment