Tuesday 9 August 2016

Rio Olympics : Road Cycling

Local riders are of course popular.
This counts as travelling yeah?  Well, I have come a long way to watch the games, may as well write about them too.  So, what would be good, let me see...  Yes, the cycling is a pretty obvious pick, not least it is free.  Time to find a viewing spot then - ideally you want an uphill section, well I am already up a hill - in fact, part of the course is not that far away, off I ride then, along the railway line towards the Corcovado.  The road then turns uphill, even without luggage it is a slog up, I climb up to the top of the funicular which I guess replaced the old line.  It's a superb ride from here, contouring around the hill with fantastic views of the city, the sea and various islands.

Blurry Chris Froome.
I want to stop and take photos, but it'll keep - the race has started now.  Not much longer and I get to  the course, and yes, an uphill section.  Bit of a shame I now wait two hours for the riders..  hadn't realised there was an earlier hilly bit they went around four times.  Well, could be worse, and I get to practice my Portuguese - by chatting to the police, who want to know all about me, ho hum.  They say my Portuguese is very good, can't say I am convinced.  Finally, riders... it's the men today, I spot some Team GB shirts, not convinced by the grey colour scheme.  Moving bikes are hard to photograph, and being in a wood doesn't help, still they go past three times so plenty of chances - nor that I make much of them.  Never mind, I spot Geraint Thomas near the front on the third circuit, and actually run behind Chris Froome, awesome.  Adam Yates is not far behind, just a shame none of them manage a medal.

Copacabana.
Next day it's the women's turn, I plan to be at the same spot but a puncture puts paid to that, I limp back to base, fix it, and ride off again, now with tools and spare tube just in case.  To Copacabana Beach, further along the route so they won't be there for a while.  In fact I get there early enough to spend an hour riding up and down the course, lovely smooth tarmac, the sea on one side and hills the other, most cool.  Back in time to see the riders go past, Lizzie Armistead is near the front, she places fifth in the end, the results somewhat overshadowed by a nasty crash for Dutch rider Annemiek Van Vleuten, leading at the time, on her way down from the Vista Chinesa.  Seems she is recovering well.  For my part, I fight my way back through crazy Rio traffic and up the massive hill, time for a well deserved beer or two.

The women.  Well, some of them.
Photos to go with this post can be found here.

No comments:

Post a Comment