Wednesday 17 August 2016

Rio Olympics : Marathon

Waiting for the runners.
Back to free stuff then, and another event harking back to ancient Greece.  And, more female athletes, does seem I am spending a fair amount of time in Rio watching women in tiny little costumes... well, largely due to timing, honest.  So, I roll downhill on my bike, over cobbles and past the Lapa arches into the centre, just in time to see the field heading south.  That was something of a bonus, my plan is to get to a point on the loop section they'll be running, and indeed, after parking the bike, a short walk gets me to one end of the ten kilometre loop, as evidenced by the fifteen kilometre sign in one direction, and thirty-five kilometres the other way.  Took me twenty minutes or so to get here, so not a long wait for the leaders, a group of eight well ahead of the main pack.

He's watching over things as usual.
Standing here I get to see them go past three times, gives a sense of how the leaders pull further ahead.  I notice more Ethiopian athletes - Mare Dibaba gets bronze for them in the end, gold going to Jemima Sumgong of Kenya.  The GB contingent are a way back, still we can't win everything, and just completing the marathon is impressive enough - it's a hot day for it too, can't say running looks like a lot of fun, and in fact a few of the ladies don't get any further than the medical post a few yards from me. 

The leaders.
The crowd does its best to encourage the runners, particularly the back markers, though I have to say, even at this ideal spot, there isn't much of a crowd.  I feel that this gives the lie to the idea that the locals cannot afford tickets, and this is why there are so many empty seats.  Rather, I think the fact is that Brazilians just aren't that interested in international sport unless it's football, or Brazil has a good chance of winning - or ideally, both.

Well, I've enjoyed cheering on the Olympians of all nations anyway...  shame about the whole cycling through Rio thing, but what can you do.  I can't face riding up the cobbled street I bounced down, so, long way round, drivers who have no idea how to treat cyclists, to be fair I join the locals and ride down one way streets the wrong way, it's just so hard to find a street going the right way.  Have to push for a while, road is closed due to some stupid sports event or other, honestly who do they think they are :).  Back home and my hosts are cooking up churrasco - barbecue essentially - and there are many parts of pig, it is good.

Dixon and Samuels, working hard.
Photos to go with this post can be found here.

No comments:

Post a Comment