Sunday 17 January 2016

Te Araroa : Wanganui to Levin

KM this section : 165
KM completed : 1531

On the beach, just past Koitiata.
After taking a day longer than planned with the kayak thing, I'm minded to keep walking without a break for a while - I mean, I was just sitting down for the last few days.  And the holiday park is nice enough, but at least six kilometres out of town so hardly handy for shopping and so forth.  But, in the event I feel a bit broken as I walk into the city, and passing a nice looking motel it is just too tempting.  Works out well in the event, I wander Wanganui sans pack, buy some new pole ends, walking shoes and of course food, and see the sights.  Seems a nice place, I like the regional museum which has giant moa skeletons, stone axe heads looking just like those from neolithic Europe but just a century or two old, and an amazing seventy seater war canoe.  Of course there is also a pub, time for the usual massive burger then.

Pun-tastic Bulls.
From here, the route involves a few days of pretty dull road walking through what is, for NZ, a populous region.  I visit the towns of Bulls and Feilding and the city of Palmerston North, I could probably speed up here but camping would be tricky, as it is I have pleasant stops at Koitiata (free camping for TA trampers!), Mount Lees (a B&B for a change - luxury and home cooked food!), and Palmerston North (cheap food from Pak'nSave).  The section alongside a busy highway isn't ideal, there have been a few of these where I'm pretty sure a better if slightly longer route could be found along minor roads - perhaps they just think people will hitch-hike?

I at least get to leave the roads for the last seventy kilometres or so before Levin... am I pleased to see the bush?  Not really.  There is of course a bit where the (signed, clearly correct) track on the ground deviates massively from the line on the official map, adding maybe three kilometres.  The day after features some foul mud, the new shoes keep it out pretty well, but their soles are disintegrating, I've lost a pole end too, the Wanganui purchases not going so well.  I do achieve something though, fifteen hundred kilometres done.  Is it halfway?  Hard to say, given how unrelated to reality the official distances are... still, getting there.  Levin is nine kilometres off the route, but I need a rest, and to shop, and of course eat beef.  Why, double up on the burger and bacon you say, don't mind if I do.

Most artistic.
Photos to go with this post can be found here.

No comments:

Post a Comment