Sunday 6 December 2015

Te Araroa : Paihia to Whangarei

KM this section : 154
KM completed : 397

Handy having a small tent sometimes.
Paihia is really nice, and I am sorry to leave, still if I must then there are worse ways than a walk along the lovely bay of islands coast.  Oddly, after six kilometres or so the guide suggests I charter a boat up the inlet, this will cost me, plus any others I can rope in, a hundred dollars.  Well stuff that, I pay one dollar instead to take the vehicle ferry over to Okiatu (former capital of NZ, not much of a place now).  From there I walk along the charming (and well constructed!) Russell Walkway, and then onto roads.  Things go fine until I reach my planned camp spot - which turns out to be in a river, oops.  Well, the 'path' continues along the stream but I manage to scramble out and camp in the bush OK.

Footbridge from Pataua North to South.
The next few days seem to be mainly road, and I strike up a rhythm, basically walking during daylight hours, then pitching camp, cooking and sleeping.  For these are long days, not so much on paper, but every day there is some bush, and always it is a continual slog up and down vertiginous slopes.  Of course, this involves a fair amount of switchbacks, and I swear the route doesn't allow for them when calculating the distance.  Highlight of this section is Ngunguru, where I crash the local bowling club's Christmas dinner and have proper food, and beer.  I even pull a cracker!

Eventually I get back to the coast, is very pretty, and there is more beach walking, followed by a gruelling climb up Eagle Point Rock, then right down again to camp at Peach Cove.  So many steps...  then next day I walk around a bay until I reach a small jetty, from which, according to the guide, I should get a lift over the bay from a fisherman.  Well I am sure not swimming it, must be three kilometres at least.  No fishermen pass near.  A family does turn up to fish from the jetty, but they have no boat, and seem bemused by my presence.  I wave at distant boats to little effect.  Time passes.  The fishing family packs up and goes, and shortly after another turns up.  They also seem confused as to what I'm doing, and to be honest I'm starting to wonder myself.  Eventually they get the idea I am waiting for a boat, and tell me I have no chance of finding one... I curse the guide and head back to the road, nothing for it but to hitch a lift to Whangarei, where the nearest bridge is.  Too late to go any further, still at least there are pubs here.

Eagle Point Rock.
Photos to go with this post can be found here.

No comments:

Post a Comment