Friday 27 January 2012

Bulgaria in retrospect

Well, that was all good fun, great skiing, good company and good food.  Very cheap too, can't see me staying in a penthouse apartment on top of a four star hotel in France any time soon.  And generally my crazy plan of hiring a car and driving all round the country worked - a bit of a shame I didn't investigate a bit further how bad the roads would be.

Black run at Bansko
Would I do a similar trip to the same country again?  Sure.  I'd plan things a little differently though... at this time of year, I'd say spend 3 days at Borovets, then to Bansko for 3 more, then get up the next morning and drive to Mount Vitosha, just south of Sofia, where there is a ski resort.  Not a big one, but worth a day trip.  Then back to a Sofia hotel and an easy drive to the airport the next day, sorted.

It would be nice to go back to Pamporovo, not least to cross off 'the wall', I wouldn't drive there from the west again though.  I'd say, go in late April or March, get a modern, 4 wheel drive car (actually I think that applies to any Bulgarian trip), and fly to Plovdiv, just(!) 85km from the resort.  And, it turns out there is another resort, Chepelare, only 10km from Pamporovo, which sounds worth a look too.

No, it is just a bar with a dancefloor, really.
So yeah, come to Bulgaria, it's fun for all the family.  Just don't take your mum to the 'night club'...

Photos to go with this post can be found here.

No comments:

Post a Comment